I started my counselling career after having lots of jobs I never seemed happy or fulfilled in. I knew I wanted to work with people in a caring capacity and utilise my life skills and experience at the same time. I decided Counselling would fulfil all of this and so my journey began into the counselling world.
I completed the year long person centred course, but felt very limited armed with only one tool of the trade, as it were. I then decided to do the postgraduate diploma in counselling at The University of Manchester which encompasses five different models of therapy to use eclectivly with your clients, to suit their individual needs, which at times can be very complex.
I have worked as a counsellor with Manchester Rape Crisis for 3 years, I also worked at Alcohol and Drug services for six months, I work voluntarily for a charity part time. My experience to date includes working with childhood sexual abuse, rape, self harm, family and relationship, trust and self esteem issues, sexual identity, sexually transmitted diseases, emergency contraception, addictions, drugs, alcohol, gambling, behavioural problems, attachment, loss, bereavement, depression, mild to moderated, post natal, anger, control, stress, anxieties, phobias, flashbacks, workplace bullying, debt, unwanted pregnancies, and suicide. I do long term and brief therapy.
I thoroughly enjoy my job, and feel proud and privileged to be part of people’s lives in such an intimate way. The connection I make with my clients enable us to build a therapeutic relationship, and explore painful issues that are interrupting their lives, in a safe, confidential, space, devoted completely to the client. I am non judgemental, empathic, and empowering and together we can work through what ever it may be and help you move forward with your life, to a more positive place.
- Certificate in Counselling concepts (one year part time).
- Post graduate Diploma in Integrative Therapy, (two years part time, including five models of therapy and BACP registered).
My Clients typically include:
- Adults (male and female ranging in age from 20-90)
- Young People aged 11-18 – this can be arranged where I go into the school to see them or they can come to me, which ever suits your needs most.
- I also offer Corporate work, which includes Therapy for Business Professionals who are too busy to access Counselling outside of work hours. This has proved very successful in the past, especially if there are a few employees who would like to access the service. This would have to be set up firstly with HR and approved before starting Counselling.
- I have facilitated and run group work also, with Adults and Young people, around Stress and living life to the full.
Face to Face Counselling:
I offer a Professional, safe, confidential, non judgemental, caring, and nurturing space for Clients to explore difficult and sometimes challenging issues, together we can work through these issues, to get you to a place where you feel more able to cope with life. I bring warmth, empathy, a genuine care for people, listening ,and occasional humour, where appropriate, to our sessions, which can feel very relaxing and less anxious for clients, and helps remove the stigma often associated with Therapy.
A recent example of feedback from a male adult client I worked with for 6 months was “Thank you for your support, encouragement, and guidance over the recent months, I am pretty sure without it my challenges would have been much more difficult, your support has given me goals, vision and above all Hope, so for that I owe you thanks.”
“Thank you for your support, encouragement, and guidance over the recent months, I am pretty sure without it my challenges would have been much more difficult, your support has given me goals, vision and above all Hope, so for that I owe you thanks.”
A recent example of feed back from a young person I have worked with was.” I like coming to counseling, you
” I like coming to counseling, you dont judge me, I can talk to you about stuff that I cant say to my Mum, you actually listen.”
Outside of therapy, I am a Mum of 3, and with this brings lots of life experience also.
I look forward to hearing from you with any questions or information you require.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualified and highly experienced Professional practitioner, with 10 years experience working with clients.(Adults and Young People). I currently work and volunteer for a Counselling charity and have my own private practice also. I assess Clients for risk and suitability for the service, alongside working with Clients on an ongoing basis. I work on various projects within the charity. I also work with young people aged 11-18 in a school setting and Privately. I have worked for a large IT company doing in house sessions with employee’s who would not be able to access counselling otherwise.
I am an Integrative Therapist, which encompasses 5 different models of therapy which allows me to mix and match to suit my clients needs. My Therapy includes, CBT, Psychodynamic, Person Centred, T.A, and Gestalt.
- MA in Counselling Studies, Years 1 and 2. Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling,,2005-2007 at The University of Manchester
- Professional Diploma in Counselling at Arden Campus Northenden, Manchester 2004-2005
- ABC Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills ( 10 week course in 2004)
- ABC Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Concepts, Person Centred. ( Year long 2004-2005)
- P.O.D.S Training Day in Relational Trauma and Disorganised Attachment, Attachment Theory, Safeguarding Young people and Adults, (renewed every 3 years by law ) this is the the training I have attended in the past year.
- Regular and ongoing professional supervision attended in accordance with BACP standards.
- Registered Member of the BACP and Fully Insured to work as a Psychotherapist/ Counsellor.
Full CRB certificate available on request.