Red meat causing heart defects
A study published in the Journal Nature Medicine showed how the carnitine in red meat was broken down through the digestive process, but what was discovered from this process was an increase in cholesterol and an increased risk of heart disease. It was due to the gas which is released ( TMAO) when carnitine is broken down in the gut and the TMAO can be found in the liver as a fatty residue known to layer arteries and cause heart attacks.
Dr Hazen, from the Cleveland Clinic, said TMAO was often ignored: "It may be a waste product but it is significantly influencing cholesterol metabolism and the net effect leads to an accumulation of cholesterol.
Sourced from BBCnewshealth
The Many Vital Roles of Cholesterol and the Myths & Truths
- Cholesterol is produced by almost every cell in the body.
- Cholesterol in cell membranes makes cells waterproof so there can be a different chemistry on the inside and the outside of the cell.
- Cholesterol is nature’s repair substance, used to repair wounds, including tears and irritations in the arteries.
- Many important hormones are made of cholesterol, including hormones that regulate mineral metabolism and blood sugar, hormones that help us deal with stress, and all the sex hormones, such as testosterone, oestrogen and progesterone.
- Cholesterol is vital to brain function
- Cholesterol is vital to the function of the brain and nervous system.
- Cholesterol protects us against depression; it plays a role in the utilization of serotonin, the body’s “feel-good” chemical.
- The bile salts, needed for the digestion of fats, are made from cholesterol. Cholesterol is the precursor of vitamin D, which is formed by the action of ultra-violet (UV-B) light on cholesterol in the skin.
- Cholesterol is a powerful antioxidant that protects us against free radicals and therefore against cancer. Cholesterol, especially LDL-cholesterol (the so-called bad cholesterol), helps fight infection.
Heart disease affecting poorer older people
Statins are welcomed by british heart foundation,but why?
Migraine prevention & pharmaceutical side effects
Stronger heart with varied diet
A single pill can defeat heart disease?
Balance of good fats & bad fats aid in good cardiac health